Caramelised Onion and Veg Pizza
This is a quick and easy pizza for a weeknight dinner and even dairy eaters won't miss the cheese.
Write a review
- 600g wholemeal bread flour
- 7g fast action yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 325ml luke warm water
- 2 red onions
- 1 tbsp honey
- Mixed veg (we used a courgette and a yellow pepper)
- 1 can chopped tomato
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- Extra olive oil for frying
- Salt and pepper
- Dried oregano
- First make the base. Place the flour in a large bowl. Add the yeast on one side of the bowl and salt to taste on the other side. Add the water and oil and bring together into a dough. Knead by hand for around 10 minutes until smooth and elastic, or, if you have a mixer with a dough hook, put on on low for around 8 minutes. Put the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with clingfilm. Leave somewhere warm until risen and airy (around 1-2 hours depending on the environment).
- In the meantime roughly slice the onions lengthways so that you maintain long strips. Cook in the honey and a glug of olive oil slowly over a fairly low heat until translucent and soft.
- While the onions and cooking slice the remaining veg and cook and just done.
- To make the sauce, put the tomato puree and tinned tomatoes in a blender and puree until smooth Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When the dough is ready, preheat to oven to 220C, or as high as it will go. Roll the dough out on a floured surface and transfer to a baking tray (you might need to split this between two trays if you don't have one big enough).
- Spread the sauce on top, scatter with the onions and vegetables and sprinkle with dried oregano over to finish.
- Bake for around 10 minutes until cooked and crispy round the edges.
The Dairy Free Vegetarian http://www.dairyfreevegetarian.co.uk/