Garlic Pizza Bread with Rocket Pesto
This dish is great as a meal in itself, served with a fresh salad, or use it as an alternative to garlic bread to accompany soups and pastas.
Write a review
- 100g spelt flour
- 100g wholemeal bread flour
- 1/2 tbsp easy bake yeast
- 130g water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the garlic oil
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
For the topping
- 200g mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic
- 50g pine nuts
- A big bag of rocket leaves
- Olive oil
- First make the pizza base. Mix the flours together in a large bowl, add a pinch of salt on one side of the bowl and the yeast on the other. Add the water and olive oil and slowly bring together into a dough using a fork/your hands. Knead for around 10 minutes until smooth and springy. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, covered with cling film and leave in a warm place for 1-2 hours until risen and airy. (Alternatively, if you have a mixer with a dough hook, stick everything in and turn the machine on low for around 7-8 minutes).
- While the pizza base is proving, make the garlic oil by mixing the oregano and crushed garlic into the olive oil. Stir well and set aside.
- Next make the pesto. Toast the pine nuts lightly in a dry pan. Leave to cool.
- In the meantime, put the rocket leaves in the food process and process until it forms a paste.
- Add the pine nuts and garlic and process until combined.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in a good glug of olive oil and salt to taste.
- Finally, slice the mushrooms and lightly fry in a dry pan. Drain off any excess liquid.
- Once the dough is ready, preheat the over to around 220C, or generally as hot as your oven will go. Roll the dough out on a well floured surface into one large pizza base or break it into smaller individual pizzas. Place on floured baking trays. Use a pastry brush to spread the base with the garlic oil and then the pesto. Sprinkle the mushrooms on top and cook for around 10 minutes until golden and crispy round the edges.
The Dairy Free Vegetarian http://www.dairyfreevegetarian.co.uk/