Spring Greens Pizza
This pizza uses a cauliflower base topped with a fresh basil pesto and selection of vegetables. This pizza works really well with a few eggs softly baked on top to provide a delicious sauce for the pizza when cut open. The cauliflower base works best if the you the cauliflower a couple of hours in the freezer. It will still be delicious without this step if you are in a hurry, but just won't be quite as structurally sound when finished - it will be a knife and fork job (although with the amount of veg piled on top of this one it's probably a knife and fork job in any event).
Write a review
For the base
- 1 cauliflower
- 50g ground almonds
- 50g oats, blitzed to a powder in the food processor
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper
For the pesto
- 50g walnuts
- Large handful of fresh basil
- Juice of half a lemon
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
For the topping
- Handful of asparagus
- Bag of spinach
- 3 eggs
- 2 tomatoes, quartered
- 5 large spring onions, quartered
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Handful rocket leaves
- First, make the base. Roughly chop the cauliflower and place in the food processor (you can use the smaller stalks but discard the thickest stalk). Blitz until it forms a fine breadcrumb consistency. Place in a sandwich bag, tie, and freeze for a couple of hours.
- Preheat the over to 200C. Remove the cauliflower from the freezer and mix in the remaining ingredients. Bring together into a dough and spread out onto a foiled baking tray, pressing the mixture tightly together with your hands as you go. Bake for around 20 minutes until golden and set.
- In the meantime, cook the asparagus in water until just done - this will only take a few minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Make the pesto by dry roasting the walnuts in a medium oven for around 10 minutes. Leave to cool slightly then blitz in the food processor. Add the remaining ingredients and adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Once the pizza base in cooked, remove from the oven and spread with the pesto, then add the cooked asparagus, the tomato, spring onion and sprinkle with a handful of spinach leaves.
- Cook for around 5-10 minutes until the pesto is sizzling and the vegetables are starting to cook. Remove from the over and quickly break the 3 eggs over the top (spaced out as best you can). Return the pizza to the oven for another 5-10 minutes, until the eggs are cooked to your taste.
- Before serving, top with the avocado, a sprinkling of rocket leaves and a drizzle of olive oil.
The Dairy Free Vegetarian http://www.dairyfreevegetarian.co.uk/