Sweet Potato Brunch Cakes
If you are fed up of toast for breakfast then these sweet potato cakes provide a great alternative base for your poached eggs. If you are vegan, top with wild field mushrooms cooked in garlic.
Write a review
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 20g plain flour
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- A handful of fresh spinach (or a block or 2 of frozen)
- 1 egg per person
- Vegetable oil
- Peel and cut the potatoes into equal sized chunks. Add to pan of water and bring to the boil. Cook until soft.
- Remove from the heat and drain.
- Mash the potato then stir in the flour, seasoning and cayenne pepper (feel free to leave that out if spice is a bit much for you in the morning).
- Shape into 2 large patties (or 4 smaller). The mixture will be sticky but add a bit more flour if it won't come together.
- Heat a glug of vegetable oil over a medium heat then add the patties. Fry for around 5-10 minutes on each side, keeping a close eye and turning/moving regularly if they try to stick.
- While the potato cakes are cooking, wilt/defrost the spinach in a pan and poach your eggs/prepare you alternative topping.
- Once cooked, serve the potato cakes topped with the wilted spinach and poached egg.
The Dairy Free Vegetarian http://www.dairyfreevegetarian.co.uk/